Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cream of Broccoli Soup


So, I like posh broccoli. Bog-standard broccoli is much cheaper though and it makes a pretty tasty soup. I used to like all my soups heavy with potato, then I changed to a super light soup which was mostly water and now I've found a happy middle ground with a "cream of" soup.
 
1 large broccoli
1 large white onion
4 cloves garlic
olive oil
3/4 pint vegetable stock
1/4 pint soya milk
seasoning
fresh thyme
grated nutmeg

Roughly chop the onion and garlic and fry it in a deep saucepan in some olive oil. Cut the broccoli into florets and chop the stem into slices. Add these to the onions and garlic and cover with the vegetable stock. Here you can season with salt and pepper and add in any other herbs and spices you fancy - I chose some fresh lemon thyme and some nutmeg. Cover the pan with a lid and leave to simmer until the broccoli is soft.

Pop the soup in a liquidiser, let it cool off a bit first so the steam doesn't cause a green explosion over your kitchen. Blend until smooth then transfer back to the saucepan and add the soya milk. Don't let it boil as you don't want any curdling going on.

I served my soup up with a swirl of soya cream and some flaked almonds, but you know, whatever floats your boat. Or floats in your soup.......

1 comment:

  1. This sounds lovely. In fact I might make it for dinner tonight! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete